by Brianna Crandall — December 13, 2021 — OhmniLabs, an award-winning Silicon Valley startup that has manufactured and sold thousands of its signature telepresence robots around the world, recently unveiled a new robot designed to safely and effectively clean hospitals, schools, hotels and more: the OhmniClean UV-C Disinfection Robot. OhmniClean is a fully autonomous robot that disinfects utilizing the power of ultraviolet-C (UV-C) light.
Weighing just 58 pounds, OhmniClean is a light and user-friendly high-powered UV-C disinfection robot. Well-suited for use in hospitals, schools, hotels and other environments that require deep cleaning in high-touch, hard-to-reach places, OhmniClean aims to eliminate the risk of bacteria and viral transmission and can disinfect a 3,000 sq. ft. space in less than 15 minutes, says the company.
Tra Vu, chief operating officer at OhmniLabs, stated:
We developed OhmniClean to address a critical need in the market for fast, simple and effective disinfection. At a time when sterile cleaning and infection control are top of mind, OhmniClean is helping to restore normalcy by simplifying existing cleaning processes and making disinfection more intelligent through providing access to efficacy and compliance data. In addition, OhmniClean is made in the USA, so we are able to bypass global shipping and supply chain issues currently faced by other manufacturers.
While ultraviolet light has been used as a disinfectant for decades, UV-C has been proven to reduce overall bacterial counts on high-touch surfaces. Furthermore, research shows that the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus that causes Covid-19 is highly vulnerable to this form of UV light and can be inactivated using OhmniClean’s autonomous UV-C disinfection solution. According to the company, independent testing shows that OhmniClean’s continuous 254nm UV-C disinfection solution rapidly eliminates pathogens like MRSA, VRE, P. aeruginosa, E. coli and SARS-CoV-2 with an efficacy of 99.999%. This can ensure a safer, cleaner environment for users, staff and visitors.
Hospital and custodial workers have been impacted by harmful chemicals found in deep cleaning products for years. There is a critical need in the healthcare, education and hospitality markets to ensure a sterile and safe environment for their patrons, students and staff.
Hector Garcia, president of ProClean Janitorial, said of the new product:
The OhmniClean robot is incredibly easy to use. My team was able to get it up and running after just ten minutes of training. The robot’s autonomy allows our staff to clean multiple rooms while the robot disinfects other areas of a property. The whole process is quick and efficient.
A fully autonomous UV-C robot has many advantages over human, manual-controlled cleaning systems, explains OhmniLabs. The short cleaning cycle time makes it possible for one person to manage a small fleet of disinfection robots, instead of a human crew, turning over several rooms at a time in a quick and efficient manner. An autonomous UV-C disinfection solution also increases efficacy and reduces human error as well as dependence on human judgment, and eliminates the risk of injury caused by mixing chemical solutions and handling heavy UV equipment. The robot navigates itself in complex environments, so its UV-C lamps can get closer to surfaces than static devices, delivering stronger UV-C exposure.
Other features that the company says make OhmniClean unique in the market include:
- Safe and efficient, chemical-free disinfection: Safety measures including motion sensors, remote switches, and an active safety system eliminate exposure to hazardous UV-C light, thus no risk to employees and customers. UV-C is chemical-free and more cost effective than maintaining HEPA HVAC systems
- Easy to use and autonomous: The robot is easy to use, transport and manage, eliminating the barrier to entry. Fully autonomous mapping and cleaning are achieved using OhmniCloud software.
- Built-in data insights, reporting and auditing: After each session, immediately view reports and audit logs to see what spaces were cleaned and when. Disinfection reports are automatically sent to relevant stakeholders such as managers, customers, and/or regulators.
- Easy to transport and service: Swappable batteries and modular parts make it easy to take apart and transport to different cleaning locations, as well as replace parts, reducing both maintenance and transportation costs.
- Made in the USA: The robot is manufactured at OhmniLabs 3D printing facility in San Jose, California, so orders are fulfilled faster, shipping costs are lower, and delivery is not subject to current supply chain challenges.
- Flexible pricing: Cost-effective options are available for every user. Standard, Premium and Full-service packages are available for purchase or for lease; a subscription to OhmniCloud Solutions will allow for fleet management, mapping, reporting and more.
For more information about the OhmniClean UV-C Disinfection Robot intelligent robotic disinfection solution, visit the OhmiLabs website.