by Brianna Crandall — May 22, 2020 — Seek Thermal, a Santa Barbara, CA-based provider of affordable, high-performance thermal imaging products, recently announced the introduction of Seek Scan, a simple, low-cost thermal imaging system designed to automate body temperature screening using skin temperature as a proxy. The thermal scan system is specifically designed and calibrated to deliver accurate skin temperature measurements while enabling social distancing protocols.
Incorporating a thermal camera and a reference heat source set up on two tripods and linked to a Windows PC, the system acts within seconds to automatically detect a face, identify the most reliable facial features for measurement, and display an alert if someone is warmer than the customizable alarm temperature.
Seek Scan can be installed in lobbies, entryways, hallways and other key access points to help businesses, institutions and venues create a safer environment for their workforce, customers, members and patrons. The system is reportedly easy to use and can be running in minutes with no special equipment or training. Seek Scan adds to the company’s portfolio of life-saving products such as Seek FirePRO, a personal thermal imaging camera made to equip every firefighter.
The company points out that thermal imaging technology has been used globally for years as a fast, noninvasive way to measure skin temperature. The founders of Seek Thermal say they have been developing and improving thermal imaging technology for the last four decades. Since its inception, the company has shipped hundreds of thousands of low-cost thermal cameras worldwide.
Mike Muench, president and CEO of Seek Thermal, stated:
We are excited to bring our experience in affordable thermal imaging technology to communities around the globe by providing a simple screening solution to help make us safer. Seek Scan is already being used in our factory, and we believe it’s a valuable screening tool for organizations that remain operational and others as they reopen in the coming months.
Seek Scan utilizes infrared thermal imaging technology, a temperature-controlled heat source and Seek Scan software to accurately measure and screen for skin temperature. The thermal scan process provides an additional layer of preventive screening and can deliver more peace of mind to businesses, institutions and participants.
The company touts Seek Scan as the most affordable solution that follows FDA guidelines for telethermographic systems during the COVID-19 public health emergency (high accuracy ±0.5°F, includes a reference heat source, and is made for single person screening).
The company lists Seek Scan’s key features as:
- Designed and calibrated for skin temperature — Unlike typical industrial thermal cameras, Seek Scan was developed for precise skin temperature measurement and includes a fixed heat source to maximize accuracy.
- Allows for social distancing — Noncontact, noninvasive screening eliminates contact between screening personnel and participants during measurement.
- Fast, automated screening — In seconds, the system automatically detects a face, finds the most accurate spot to measure, and displays a pass/fail alert.
- Easy to install and easy to use — Start scanning in minutes using two tripods and a Windows PC.
- Proven technology — Thermal imaging has been tested, studied and deployed globally for years in skin temperature measurement applications.
- Affordable — Seek Scan is priced significantly lower than other thermal screening solutions.
The company says it is working tirelessly to scale up production to deploy these systems. For pricing and availability, contact Seek Thermal.
Seek Thermal engineers and manufactures low-cost, high-resolution thermal imaging cameras and OEM thermal cores. Founded by industry pioneers who spent 40 years advancing the state of military and professional-grade thermal technologies, Seek Thermal says it has developed a breakthrough line of products at competitive price points making this technology more accessible to manufacturers and end users. The company’s products serve the firefighting, law enforcement, commercial, and many other markets.