Posted by Johann Nacario — February 27, 2023 — The Exam Room Counter Door by Clopay Corporation helps ensure a safe environment for patients by providing an anti-ligature door. Available through the company’s Cornell and Cookson brands, the Exam Room Counter Door creates multipurpose exam rooms that can be easily converted when needed, as the door is completely concealed when not in use. This allows facilities to utilize the same room for both medical and behavioral health patients back-to-back, saving healthcare providers money and resources.
For optimum strength, the Exam Room Counter Door comes with a stainless steel, galvanized steel, or extruded aluminum curtain and incorporates guides and end locks that ensure the curtain will stay firmly in place in the event of impact. The fascia side motor and coil are hidden above the ceiling on the secure side of the room. When in the closed position, the door provides a completely flat surface facing the patient’s room, discretely covering sinks and cabinets, as well as access to oxygen valves and other potentially dangerous equipment.
All ligature points are eliminated with completely concealed fasteners and a flat bottom bar, meeting ASHRAE / Facility Guidelines Institute (FGI) recommendations for all finishes to be impact, tamper and ligature resistant. Ideal for hospitals, long-term care, urgent care, and other institutional facilities, the Exam Room Counter Door prioritizes a safe and secure environment for both the patient and the healthcare provider.
Additional features and specifications
- The steel counter-balance shaft supports the curtain and contains torsion springs for assisting operation while hidden above the ceiling.
- Two-piece steel guides are attached to tubes that are recessed into the drywall.
- Specialized end locks are riveted to each slat to keep the curtain within the guides in the event of impact.
- The curtain has interlocking roll-formed flat-faced slats made of galvanized steel with Galvanex polyester enamel finish in gray, tan or white. Optional finishes include more than 180 SpectraShield colors, Galvanex Ultra and SpectraShield Ultra powder coat finishes, and ImageMatch. Specifiers can also select a curtain in stainless steel or extruded aluminum.
- To create a smooth transition, the single-angle flat bottom bar matches the curtain in steel with powder coating.
- A ligature-resistant, self-closing access panel is recommended (not supplied).
For more information about the Exam Room Counter Door, visit Clopay. The company manufactures and markets garage doors and rolling steel doors. Its rolling steel doors and grilles for commercial, industrial, institutional and retail use are sold under the Cornell and Cookson brands.